Many of us went in the DCC world and would like to use also the most updated LGB loco, this is possible with few simple modification at gear box. his is the second part (of 3) of an interesting and really useful document produced from Massoth to help installing decoder in old type LGB engine (the original PDF is available in German and English language on Massoth web site).
In these old gear boxes both motor contacts are connected to track power. The motor leads must be isolate
from the track power leads on both sides.
The pictures show a simple conversion for digital operation:
- remove the wheels on one side of the gear box and unscrew the four screws that hold the half-shells
together. Watch out for the spring loaded carbon brushes!
- remove the electric motor (note the direction)
- bend the straps that contact the motor leads away from the motor leads (see pict.#2)
- solder wires (yellow and green) to the motor leads (see pict #3)
- put the motor back in the gear box and make sure that the motor leads do not touch the straps
- drill two holes in the upper side of the half-shells for the extra wires
- reassemble the gear box
Now all four leads necessary for digital operation are available. The position for the wholes in the gear
box may vary with the engine type, please check before reassembling the locomotive.
This gear box requires a different (slower) back-EMF setting, please check your decoder manual.
|Image from Massoth|